Importance of Keeping to our Environmental Commitment
JCW's Corporate Responsibility to our Environment
JCW recognises our impact on the environment from our day-to-day operations. We are committed to reducing this level of impact wherever possible, as well as working to strict environmental targets ourselves, we make sure the products and parts we use do the same.
JCW is working towards the internationally-recognised standard for excellent environmental management of business ISO 14001:2004. From our offices to our engineers out on the field and across our clients’ portfolios, best practice is promoted within the group at all times. Senior Management of the company are responsible for the continued promotion and review of JCW’s environmental policy. Kurt Hedgley, our Managing Director is ultimately responsible for the development and implementation of our Environmental policy, and working with our HSQE consultant Rob Hughes. Senior Managers are appointed within each division of the business to see it followed through.
Our Environmental Policy is fully communicated across the company and additionally appointed Senior Managers operate their cascade style meetings to allow further communication to their wider teams to help better understand our Environmental objectives.
JCW operates an annual nationwide Manager’s Away Day to raise awareness, as well as to evaluate and discuss improvements in regards to environmental related issues. We extend this information to our sub-contractors to better align their environmental ethics to our own commitment.
JCW Environmental initiatives: helping control significant environmental impacts.
JCW understand and value of operating environmentally sensitive procurement arrangements and have the below measures in place as a part of our environmental policy. See a copy here:
- All used goods recovered from site will be collected by/taken to original supplier and disposed of environmental soundly. Services delivered via our fleet will be arranged geographically efficiently and by fuel efficient vans, to decrease our negative impact to climate change.
- In our effort to reduce the level of harmful emissions into the atmosphere, we have recently updated our national fleet network, to improve fuel efficiency and decrease our carbon emission.
- To reduce the amount of packaging used we ask that only recycled/recyclable packaging materials used on products are used by suppliers and we will recycle as much waste packaging material as possible, and ask that no packaging material to be disposed of with normal waste.
- When pricing for air conditioning products we aim to quote/source for the most environmental friendly system on the market whilst achieving best value for clients. JCW frequently review suppliers’ products and take into account those with either a longer life span or can be recycled easily.
- Engineers are F-gas trained, and so are aware of the consequences of refrigerant released into the atmosphere, every effort will be expended to stop gas leaks and that any callout for air conditioning gas leak issues are prioritised and resolved as soon as soon possible.
- All products that either contain recycled products or have components that are recyclable after use are separated and taken to the local recycling plant. Refrigerant which could cause damage to the atmosphere are reclaimed by JCW, collected by our cylinder provider and recorded in an effort to keep track of their whereabouts.
- Products that require special recovery/recycling method will be collected/recovered by supplier at the end of their useful life, and reused/disposed of in a proper manner.
As well as working to strict environmental targets ourselves, we make sure our products do the same.
All JCW Energy Services installations use the latest ozone-friendly refrigerant, as well as ground breaking inverter technology, which can reduce energy consumption by up to 30%. In addition, rigorous pressure testing in line with British Standards guards against leaks.
What's more, because we know that lighting can account for as much as 20% of a firm’s energy bill, we also install energy-efficient fittings and bulbs; where possible, helping you cut consumption further by including automatic switch-off devices for low-usage rooms or those with a lot of natural light. It’s not just the planet that benefits. You’ll see a number of commercial advantages in using JCW.
No need to get sign-off from Building Control
We were one of the first air-conditioning contractors to achieve Competent Persons registration with Building Engineering Services Competence Accreditation (BESCA).
That means we’re able to independently self-certify that our air-conditioning and mechanical installations are Building Regulations compliant in England and Wales – saving you time and money on inspections from local authority building control departments.
Help to keep you compliant
JCW’s energy assessors can inspect your air-conditioning systems in line with the EU’s Energy Performance of Buildings Directive – essential for air-conditioning systems rated over 250kW.
We’ll help you comply with the EU F-Gas regulation too, ensuring our engineers are qualified to monitor and maintain your systems in line with the very latest refrigerant requirements. As members of REFCOM and also the voluntary BESA (previously B&ES) scheme, we also hold various certificates and licences confirming our responsible handling, control and disposal of refrigerant.
If you are as environmentally conscious as JCW see a range of service we offer to help improve your commercial energy consumption.